Every week or two in the Roseville shop we’d all gather around the TV and watch the latest batch of “sponsor me” videos....usually with no luck finding a good one. The great exception came in 1988 when we popped in Rick Howard’s VHS tape, a young kid from Vancouver Canada who said he was stoked on Blockhead and in fact was riding Blockhead boards throughout the video.
Thump Thump, Thump Thump...the professionally edited video counted down with a heartbeat sound, then BAM! A nonstop barrage of some of the best street skating we had ever seen! Needless to say, Dave was on the phone immediately with Rick and the rest is history.
After video parts in Splendid Eye Torture and then Adventures in Cheese, it was decided that Rick was ready for a model. After some road trip inspiration from a skunk on the side of a Dick Simon Trucking Company big rig (and perhaps some stinky feet), Ron Lemen inked the iconic skunk graphic with some Pepe Le Pew influence and also included cues from Rick’s love of Root Beer and his baggy brown corduroy pants.
- Deck Colors: black stain (red top), green stain (Teal top), orange stain (black top).
- Art by Ron Lemen
- Bottom: 4 color screen printed graphics
- Top: 2 color screenprint and laser burn 30 year logo
- Dimensions: 9.625 x 32.125”, 6.5” T, 14.375” WB/ 6.25” N. or 15.125” WB/ 5.5” N.
- Double drilled for choice of wheelbase/nose length.
- Old school hole pattern
- Construction: 7-ply maple
- Manufactured by Watson Laminates, San Diego CA
- Original release date 1991, Reissue date 2016